Thesis Opportunities in the ATLAS Genova Group
The ATLAS Genova Group is part of the ATLAS international collaboration, exploring the frontier in particle physics, by collecting and analysing the proton-proton collisions produced by the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN.
Becoming members of our group, Master and PhD students have the opportunity to conduct an innovative research contributing to one or more of the various research fields we are involved in (see our research activity page), including:
- building a next-generation pixel detector, from sensor testing to data acquisition
- design and implementation of pattern recognition in the hardware trigger processor
- development of algorithms to identify jets containing beauty or charm hadrons
- measurements of Higgs boson properties in its decays to beauty quark pairs
- search for supersymmetric or exotic particles with peculiar ionization patterns
The research activity will be carried out in the structures (labs and offices) available at the Genova Physics Department, being part of the Genova section of the Istituto Nazionale di Fisica Nucleare (INFN).
The students involved will also have the unique opportunity to spend a significant amount of time at CERN, to develop their project in close contact with our international co-workers and to participate in collaboration meeting, having the chance to present their results.